RESOLUTIONS OF THE 60TH MEETING OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE HELD ON TUESDAY, 17TH JULY 2012.
Gentlemen of the Press,
The 60th meeting of the National Executive Committee of our great Party, the PDP just concluded here at the National Secretariat.
The meeting, which is the first under the leadership of Alhaji Dr. Bamanga Tukur had the President, Vice President, Senate President, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Leaders of the National Assembly, State Governors and other distinguished members of NEC in attendance.
The meeting considered several National issues and arrived at the following resolutions:
- NEC received draft copies of the 2012 amended Constitution of the Peoples Democratic Party. The meeting resolved to allow members study the document carefully and make notes on typographical errors and omissions for final adoption at the next NEC meeting.
The meeting clarified that this is not another Constitution review exercise but an effort to perfect the document in line with the amendments approved at the March 24th National Convention.
- NEC condoled the Government and people of Rivers State over the tragic loss of lives in the recent fire disaster in Ahoada. NEC also condoled the Government and people of Plateau State over the death of Senator Gyang Dantong and Hon. Gyang Fulani as well as many others in recent disturbances in the state.
- NEC passed an emphatic vote of confidence on the President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. The NEC put on record, Mr. President’s perfect understanding of the unabridged rights of the people to free electoral choice as the basis of democracy and good governance. Despite challenges, it is the unanimous view of NEC members that the President is right on course in the transformation of Nigeria.
- NEC also unanimously endorsed the National Chairman’s new agenda of Reconciliation, Reformation and Rebuilding of the party. NEC further passed a vote of confidence on the National Working Committee led by Alhaji Dr. Bamanga Tukur.
- NEC also received a repackaged edition of the Umbrella Magazine which is the official mouthpiece of the Peoples Democratic Party. NEC commended the editorial quality and urged the National Publicity Secretary to ensure that it is published regularly in order to afford the party present its perspective in the larger national discourse.
- Finally, NEC appealed to all aggrieved groups in the country to give peace a chance and embrace dialogue for the sake of our dear country. NEC condemned the wanton destruction of lives and property in recent incidents and appealed to law enforcement agencies to redouble their efforts in stemming this ugly trend.
Chief Olisa Metuh
National Publicity Secretary