RESOLUTIONS OF THE 71st MEETING OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (NEC) OF THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY (PDP) ON MAY 17, 2016 AT THE NATIONAL SECRETARIAT, ABUJA.
The 71st Meeting of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of our great Party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) held today, Tuesday, 17th of May 2016 at the National Secretariat of the PDP.
The NEC was well attended and has the National Chairman, H.E. Sen. (Dr.) Ali Modu Sheriff, the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees (BoT), Senator Walid Jibrin, PDP State Governors, members of the National Working Committee (NWC), members and leaders of the National Assembly and other members of NEC and BOT.
The Meeting deliberated on several issues affecting the Party and the Nation and arrived at the following resolutions:
1. That the National Convention of the Peoples Democratic Party will hold in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State at the Shark Stadium on Saturday, the 21st of May 2016 as earlier scheduled.
2. That in-line with the Report of the Ekweremadu Committee, the forthcoming National Convention will formerly ratify the zoning of the PDP Presidential Ticket for the 2019 Presidential Election to the North and the zoning of the National Chairmanship position to the South of the country, respectfully.
3. NEC also resolved that due to the issues arising from the just concluded congresses at the wards, local governments and states, especially in Sokoto, Zamfara, Anambra, Lagos and Adamawa states, that a Special Committee shall be constituted after the National Convention to look into the matter accordingly.
4. NEC observed and condemned in strong terms the arbitrary arrest and detention of PDP members on account of Party campaign funds by the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari and urged Nigerians and the International Community to request the APC Administration to investigate the campaign funds of its Party, the All Progressive Congress (APC) as some accusations of misuse of public funds are also levelled against some APC governors and stakeholders.
5. NEC further decried the selective probe of PDP members by the anti-graft agency under the administration of the APC as a case of witch-hunt and unnecessary oppression aimed at silencing members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
6. NEC therefore demand the immediate release of all members of the PDP in the custody of the anti-graft agency, the EFCC, or charge them to Court without further delay.
7. The meeting was adjourned at about 5:20pm.
Adm. Chinwe Nnorom
Head, Publicity Division